Sunday, August 16, 2009

Spite Party

That's right, a spite party. Have you ever gone to some function or event, not because you WANT to but because someone really leaves you with no choice? I did last weekend. One of the people I work with is on our local library board, she's basically in charge of it. A function was being organized several months back; a novelist has just published her newest book and it takes place in our historic community. Said novelist was having a book signing at the local library, open to the public, and later on there was a lakeside cocktail party for invited guests, the guest of honor being the author. The organizer of all this, also my co worker, told us a while back she needed this particular day off, but did not share why. I am a real estate broker, as are all of my co workers. Who do a large percentage of our business in this historic community. I'm also a writer, and would you not think that the organizer of the event might not think to ask us if we were interested in supporting these events? Or might like to go? No, she did not. It pissed me off - and I rarely get pissed off - not only for myself, but for the other couple of brokers in my office as well. I thought it was pretty thoughtless of the organizer.

So, I have a contact or three up my sleeve, I made a call and was told by the gentleman of the estate where the cocktail party was being held, "Of course we'd love to have you! I was wondering why I didn't see you ladies on her guest list." (He was merely, and graciously, providing the place for the cocktail party) So I called my other, also ignored in this matter co-workers, and said I don't care what you are doing Saturday evening, we're going to the party. It's the point. So no mention of the events of last weekend were discussed, neither by the organizer, or by us.

And we just went, mingled, had a glass of champagne and some hors d'oeuvres, talked to people we knew and met a few we didn't, chatted a bit with the author, and oh yes, were completely gracious and friendly with the organizer, who of course was stunned by our presence. Like I said, sometimes people leave you little choice.

And sometimes being a hammer in a velvet glove is quite satisfying.

5 comments:

  1. good for you Susie! (You rarely get pissed off??) I would have loved to have seen the organizer's face when she saw you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay me! and i consider myself remarkably tolerant usually, sure! sometimes when i ought not to be even. i'll catch up with you soon, i want to hear about SC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it! A woman after my own heart ... don't get mad ... get even!

    Utterly classy, and yet totally devastating to Ms I-want-it-all-myself ... I so wish I'd been a fly on the wall to this event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Susie-- here is one for you to participate in.. http://thequeenofseaford.blogspot.com/2009/08/what-can-i-tell-you.html

    ReplyDelete