Friday, July 31, 2009

Losing The Cottage, Beach Road, Amagansett




Every once in a while
a place becomes a part of you
and you take it with you
wherever you go.
You remember the rooms
and the color of the walls
and the smell of the sea.
You can feel
that feeling you get
from not wearing shoes
most of the time.
And isn't it funny
that when we take off our shoes
and feel the sand on our feet
that the whole world goes away
and all that's important is
how the ocean looks -
and is it cold?
So you try to remember
the colors in the sunset
because you need to take them with you.
You know this is it:
a chapter is closed
a dream interrupted.
And you know
that from now on
that "Residents Only" sign
at the top of the street
means you, too.
So let the weeds grow up through the gravel driveway
let the garden seed itself
let the quail and pheasants
have the run of the place
it always belonged to them anyway.
I can remember it for the right reasons
and keep my bottle of sand on the windowsill
and sometimes
when I open it
I can smell the ocean.

4 comments:

  1. Nice, my shoulders fell, I took a deep breath, appreciated where I am and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poignant and beautiful ... making me appreciate our place all the more.

    ReplyDelete